Fall is Here!
Being that I’ve been waiting for this season to arrive and that I’m going to get the absolute barest of Southern California minimums of it, I’m really trying to take advantage of this slightly cooler weather that we’re starting to have.
See how I deal with Los Angeles “Autumn” or lack thereof.
Seriously, I am celebrating 75 degrees of not-so-fall weather here. Beggars can’t be choosers and I’m really gonna make the most of it. I have refused to go out all summer because of the heat and now’s my chance to take advantage of these date ideas below.
I’ve separated the date lists from minor commitments to some that take a little more planning and expense.
- Beach Night Date
- I love a good beach night. It’s just as great in the summer, but the shorter days mean longer cooler nights by the shore. I tend to have a blanket and tatami mat ready in my car just for the occasion. I normally grab some drive-thru food and a coffee to have while I sit and watch the waves, surfers, and on one occasion, a sleeping seal.
- Rooftop Cinema Club – Los Angeles rooftopcinemaclub.com
- cost: $17; $20 with bottomless popcorn; $24 shared double deckchair
- This event actually happens in 4 cities, two of them in SoCal: Los Angeles and San Diego. It’s a true-to-its-name movie night, specifically designed for a date (party of two), with wireless earphones, plush deck chairs, and blankets on request.
- Movies at Electric Dusk Drive-In electricduskdrivein.com
- cost: Presale $10-$14/person, On-site $14-$16/person, parking $10/car
- Going to a drive-in date has been on my bucket list for a long time. This one has an al-fresco lawn seating with speakers option or the standard in-car with sound via radio station setting. There are port-a-potties, is pet-friendly, and cars are parked according to size!
- Roundtrip Cruise on Pacific Surfliner pacificsurfliner.com
- cost: depends on your departure and destination station
- The easiest to plan out of this bigger commitment list, you simply buy roundtrip train tickets via amtrak.com and enjoy the ride. I’ve taken this to Santa Barbara in the morning, spent the day at the beach and meals in the area, then returned home in time to see the sunset on the horizon. It is beautiful and worth the occasional splurge.
- Pan Am Experience Dinner panamexperience.com
- cost: $475 – $875/pair
- You may have stopped right there, but hear me out:
clearlyfrom the cost, this is priced as a date and a fancy one. Like taking part in a play, you will be taken back in time and treated to a flight complete with check-in, boarding passes, authentic dishware, and a 5-6 course meal, among other meticulous details.
- Malibu Wine Safari + Saddlerock Gardens Dinner lasafaris.com
- cost: $165/person
- Located in the hills of Malibu, there is legitimately a safari with animals to view here. As a local, I was still surprised to hear about this and excited to know that a safari was nearby. This specific tour is a shortened version that includes wine tastings and dinner at the end, lasting approximately 5 hours.
Never forget that as much as the Greater Los Angeles area has to offer, SoCal is a large area that comprises many counties and many things to do. Keep searching and you’ll find something unique, something you may have thought was long extinct (like the drive-in movie or PanAm Experience)!
For kid-friendly activities, check out Los Angeles Fall Events for Families.
Are there any that I’ve missed? Let me know – I’d love to explore and check it out. See you out there!